“Sustain the ones who sustain you, and the Earth will last forever”
With teachings from Lori Snyder (Métis, Tsuu T’ina, Anishinaabe, Cree, Nakoda & Nipissing Nations, Scottish, French, Celtic), Jolene Andrew (Wet’suwet’en & Gitxan Nations), and Spirit, I have been creating medicinal teas, salves and incense from wild and Indigenous plants for many years. I host and plant walks in collaboration with, and with support from Indigenous community leaders.
With gratitude for the wisdom that Indigenous peoples today share with relative newcomers like me… I endeavour to practice the principles of the Honorable Harvest as described by Robin Wall-Kimmerer (Potawotami Nation) in Braiding Sweetgrass:
- Ask permission of the ones whose lives you seek. Abide by the answer.
- Never take the first. Never take the last.
- Harvest in a way that minimizes harm.
- Take only what you need and leave some for others.
- Use everything that you take.
- Take only that which is given to you.
- Share it, as the Earth has shared with you.
- Be grateful.
- Reciprocate the gift.
- Sustain the ones who sustain you, and the Earth will last forever.
Jenny van Enckevort
Earth to Jenny Communications & Urban Wild Arts